publication date: Sep 30, 2010
author/source: Kate Faulkner, Property Expert and Author of Which? Property Books
Rent House UK
To rent a house in the UK from abroad, there are lots of things that you might not know about. For example, how do you know the property actually belongs to the person offering to rent it? How do you know the property is safe to live in with a good heating system and hot water when you need it? If you hand over a deposit and rent monies to rent a house in the UK to a letting agent, how do you know whether the letting agent is actually passing it onto the landlord?
When you want to renting a house in the UK, it is essential to understand all the legal rules and regulations that have been brought in to protect you, the tenant, from rogue landlords and letting agents.
Some of these rules apply to the property, some of the legals you should be aware of to rent a house in the UK are related to the landlord or the letting agent. See our Renting Property UK article to understand the legals of renting in the UK.
However, there are also things that aren’t legally required, but can cause you a problem or even leave you homeless if they aren’t carried out by the letting agent/landlord.
Here are five examples of ‘things to make sure of’ before you rent a house in the UK:-
- Landlords must advise their mortgage lender they are letting the property to tenants.
- Landlords must have specialist buildings and contents insurance to cover damage to the property.
- Tenants belongings are NOT covered by the landlords’ insurance.
- You have to give one months notice IN WRITING, not by phone or ‘popping in’ to the agent or landlord.
- You cannot just change parts of the property, such re-decorate or change the phone number or utility provider without written permission from the landlord.
On top of this it is useful to know that only SOME letting agents have insurance to protect your rent and deposit monies if they go bust!
Don’t get into difficulties when renting a house in the UK, contact property expert Kate Faulkner and her team at Designs on Property for independent information on renting in the UK.
NEED HELP FROM THE DESIGNS ON PROPERTY EXPERTS?
Email email@example.com for a one of our FREE Property Checklists.
Do you have a property question? GET AN INDEPENDENT ANSWER! ASK US via our PROPERTY FORUM, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0845 838 1763.
|Get a helping hand with our new Tenants Service for just £14.99!|
Property expert, Kate Faulkner, has joined forces with B&Q and other industry experts to offer a unique service, where you purchase a ‘property project pack’ that gives you:-
- An A4 ‘how to’ guide (approx 80 pages), containing Dos and Don’ts, Factsheets, Checklists, Handy Tips and Forms
- Access to Kate and her team, by phone and email, for any queries you might have during your project.
See the full list of Kate Faulkner's unique Property Services here!