In the UK we have literally hundreds of different types of properties. Some date back to cave times, some are in excess of 400 years old. Some properties are all on one level others are on four or more floors. Some miles away from anywhere, some on top of another!
Understanding Different homes
When looking to buy, sell or invest in homes, understanding the type is extremely important as it can affect:-
- Where you might need to live, for example certain properties such as Georgian properties are often on busy town centre roads.
- What facilities you may have, such as terraced properties rarely having access to parking/a garage.
- What price premium you might pay, for example some new builds or character properties are more expensive than other homes.
- The maintenance costs of the property. Homes over 25 years old often need around £1,000 spending on them every year.
- Type of ownership such as leasehold which means you have to pay service and ground rent charges.
If a property is Grade II Listed or in a Conservation Area, then you may even be restriced to the type of alterations you can make to the property.
Visit the relevant sections in Designs on Property to find out about things you need to think about when considering purchasing, renovating or investing in the different property types.
FREE HELP FROM THE DESIGNS ON PROPERTY EXPERTS!
Got a property question? GET AN ANSWER!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0845 838 1763
Order your Buying a Period or Listed Home Checklist for FREE
Buy our First Time Buyers' Pack - includes three month's FREE 1:1 support and a FREE Which? Buy, Sell and Move House Book!
Buy our Buy to Let Property Pack - includes three month's FREE 1:1 support and a FREE Which? Renting and Letting Book!
Want all the latest property market news? Are prices going up or down?