If you haven't enough time to read any of our factsheets our eBook or one of our books, or are at an early stage in thinking about buying a historic property, then make sure you check out our Top 10 Tips:
Top Ten Dos and Don'ts when buying a Historic Property
1. Do make sure you speak to a specialist finance and insurance company BEFORE making an offer.
2. Don't assume you can change anything you want - check with local planners what permission is required.
3. Do find out what your maintenance and running costs will be.
4. Don't finalise your offer without a specialist survey.
5. Do check that the property is clear of damp, wood rot etc.
6. Don't carry out any repairs/maintenance without professional advice.
7. Do check the electrics and heating comply with current regulations.
8. Don't overstretch your finances - historic properties are costly to run/maintain.
9. Do make sure you have specialist insurance to cover repairs to the required standard.
10. Don't take out the character features as this can severely impact on the property's price and may be illegal.
To find out more about how we can support you during your property project visit our Introduction page in the Essentials section.
Consider signing up for membership:
Join now as a member for just £19.99 so we can give you unbiased and expert support throughout your project. Each member receives a FREE Which? Property Book, email/telephone support and discounts off great products and services!
For more information about how membership can help support you throughout your property project, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call us 0845 838 1763. We'd love to speak to you!