Converting a Home - Top Ten Dos and Don'ts
There are lots of things that you need to do when considering a property project, but here are our Top Ten Tips to get you started:-
1. Do decide on a minimum and maximum budget.
2. Do check whether the conversion will add value to your home now, or in the future.
3. Don't get caught in expensive finance deals - look for product interest free deals, but check prices aren't inflated.
4. Don't rush out and spend money. Plan a small project at least three months ahead and a larger one six months ahead.
5. Do spec what you want (kitchen/bathroom) and then search the internet, a local retailer, a builders merchant and the DIY stores to secure the best price.
6. Don't get caught in salesmen patter! Pay for what you need/want, not what will earn them commission.
7. Do work out what you can realistically do yourself - in the time you have spare. It might only take a day to paint everywhere, but it'll take a day to prepare/get rooms ready and a day to put everything back!
8. Do know what you legally can/can't do such as gas, electrics, glazing etc.
9. Don't let anyone work on your home without a contract.
10. Don't hand over more than 10 percent of money upfront and do keep 10 percent back until you are happy with the work.
NEED HELP FROM THE DESIGNS ON PROPERTY EXPERTS?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for a one of our FREE Property Checklists.
Do you have a property question? GET AN INDEPENDENT ANSWER! ASK US via our PROPERTY FORUM, email email@example.com or call 0845 838 1763.